The city gardens are named after the Duke of Cesarò and were donated to the city by the Cacciola-Trevelyan family during the 1920’s. Florence Trevelyan was an English nobelwoman who commissioned the towers we see today. These were built so she could study birds as she was a keen ornithologist.
The gardens cover almost three hectares and are a combination of typical Mediterranean vegetation with hedges and flowerbeds and cobbled paths. There is also an avenue lined with olive trees in memory of the fallen during various wars. It runs through trees of various rare species many of which are of an extraordinary beauty. Relics from the two World Wars are also on show in a few clearings and a war monument to the fallen can be seen near the natural ‘Teatro di Verzura’ of Greenery Theatre. In the centre and to the north-east end of the gardens, there are some characteristic pagoda style towers with Arabesque designs made of bricks and edged with lavic pumice stone.